Veggie Bread Rolls
I have a confession to make..i love all food deep-fried..and am certain there are many who are the same. So, i love the samosas,bajjis,bondas...but i love these veggie bread rolls the best. I think it is because, you have to make these at home to eat them..i have never seen them sold anywhere. I remember as a child asking ..actually begging my amma to make these..as she really did not like to make too many deep fried snacks. I think her her reluctance to make any deep fried food was my basic lack of portion control..which sadly has continued to my adulthood too ;)..anyway i digress..i would basically eat 4 to 5 of these and feel miserable the rest of the evening..but would be ready to eat thair-chadam (curd rice) at dinner time ;) he he. She would make 2 types of filling, one was with potatoes and peas the other was tomato and onion. They both are equally delicious and the last time i went home..amma made these and guess what....i overate again ;)
I made the potato peas bread-roll..here is the recipe. I of-course added garlic, which was a complete no-no in my house..so feel free to add in any veggie you want..
Bread - 10 slices
Potatoes - 3 medium (boiled and mashed smooth)
Peas - 1 cup (boiled and mashed roughly)
Onion - 1/4 cup ( finely diced)
Green Chilly - 1 (finely chopped)
Garlic - 1 (finely chopped)
Cilantro - 2 tbls (finely chopped)
Ajwain -1/2 tsp.
Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 tsp.
Salt - to taste
Water- to dip the bread in
Oil - to deep fry(yep..this is not healthy or as RR would say figure friendly...bah!)
1. Mix in all the ingredients except the bread and oil and keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a pan to deep fry.
3. In a wide bowl, take some water..dip a slice of bread in it for a second, take it out and squeeze all the water..taking care the bread does not lose the shape.
4. Add some of the vegetable filling in the middle of the squeezed out bread and close the edges. Form the bread into an oblong shape making sure the bread is well sealed.
5. Now drop this in the hot oil very gently and deep fry for a few minutes.
6. Eat these when they are hot....and yeah yeah..go ahead and overeat ;)
1. Do not get greedy and put too much of filling inside.
2. Preshape the filling in oblongs, so that they fit in the bread easily.
3. Make two at a time and deep fry immidiately, you cannot preform all the bread ahead with filling and fry later,as they will get soggy......water, bread...get it ;)
This is my entry to the WYF- Snacks hosted by Hima of SnackoRama