Friday

Semi-Homemade Banana Pudding



In all honesty i am not a fan of bananas. I used to love them in India..but after coming here, i feel the bananas do not have the flavor we used to get there. I have really lost interest in that fruit....but sadly jeeves has not!! actually it is the only fruit he will eat on his own without any heckling from my side ;)..actually i have stopped asking him if he wants a piece when i eat my fruit...coz i am his wife not his mom!!..and he is a big guy now.....

When JFI-Bananas was announced, i was sure that it is going to be vazhakkai..i also had a recipe in mind,little did i know ripe bananas were the ones that wanted in on the fashion shoot...now who am i to break hearts ;) so here you go you yellow wierd shaped fruits...the field is urs.

I had this pudding at an office get-together and i was like.... shit! there are nanas..damn! but i guess people loved it, as that lady had tons and i mean tons of people requesting her recipe. She was sweet and basically sent out a floor email of the recipe..when i read it..i was like...what! that is soo easy.

So last week...i know, last week and i post today! we had some friends who were moving out of state calling up and wanting to drop in and say bye once more...i did ask them to stay for dinner..but they were busy, so i thought i could make this desert. i had bananas,pudding and nilla wafers and a faint recollection of the recipe...so i put it together, and it was pretty easy and super super super fast ;)

Ingredients:

2-3 bananas - not too ripe,ripe..but not too ripe
1 packet of instant vanilla pudding (i got the sugar one..not the one with splenda)
1 packet nilla wafers
3 cups vanilla soy milk
1 tbls vanilla extract

Method:

1. Prepare the pudding as per directions using the soy milk and adding the vanilla extract for extra vanilla flavor.

2. Slice bananas into thin disks.

3. Take a couple of tall glasses, place 4 nilla wafers, then top with some pudding, then top with bananas. Make one more layer the same way and then top the bananas with pudding and let this hang out in the fridge for a few hours..the longer the better.

4. Just before serving, break a few nilla wafers on top for extra cruch...yummy ( i even had one myself!)

Notes:

1. You can use plain milk instead of soy milk.
2. It is better to get the sugar free pudding for health reasons..i had this full sugar pudding on hand, so i just used it. You can also make pudding grom scratch if you want to make this desert in an hour instead of 15 mts (he he).
3. Vanilla extract can be omitted too...i added for extra vanilla flavor.
4. You can make the pudding in a big container, but may lose out on the looks ;)..i think if you are having guests..this is a better option.
5. I am ashamed to give this as an entry for JFI..as it is soo easy, but i will deal with the shame in my own way....no i am not telling how....

This is my entry for the JFI- Bananas hosted by Mandira of
Ahaar .

30 comments:

TBC said...

Looks yummy! Nice entry for the event, R.
Simple and sweet:-)

FH said...

I used love Nanjanagoodu Rasa bale hannu we get in Mysore which is short, plump with thinnest peel and so tasty and fragrant too. Here it's Spanish Chiquita Bananas, which are not bad but not the same as above!:)
Pudding looks yum.Never tried Soy milk though!

TBC said...

Forgot to add. "Semi-homemade with Rajitha"- that could be ur new show. Can't stand the current one!;-)

Mallika said...

It must be something in the air. I've been making banoffee pie every weekend for the last month! This looks very delicious...

Anonymous said...

IT looks delicious, thats true about banannas here it doens't taste that good at all.

Padma said...

Looks very simple and easy, I always thought that puddings require lot of time, but I was wrong after I landed here :E

Anonymous said...

Rajitha, Try baby bananas if you can get them. They are as flavorful as bananas we get back in India. Even I don't like the regular bananas we get here. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Rajitha, My previous comment is missing. I'm trying again. Try baby bananas as they are not smelly like regular bananas and flavourful at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rajitha, I'm not sure how it is I haven't seen your blog yet but here I finally made it -- lovely easy banana dessert you made! And have been browsing a little, the tofu and Amish Parker House rolls... and that pineapple kesari bhath -- really yummy! :)

Anonymous said...

Good idea Rajitha. I love vanilla pudding, but great idea to add soy milk. Healthy too!

Sreelu said...

Rajitha so we don't agree on this fruit, I love babana's and this is the only fruit I eat.however I agree banana's in India taste much better.Hey how many cups does this yeild?

sra said...

LOL - I'm his wife, not his mom!
The pudding looks nice, btw!

Cynthia said...

I love bananas and with pudding - yum!

Rajitha said...

tbc- i don't like her either...nor the woman with the biggest head in town..her name starts with a 'G'

asha- i think the soy-milk makes no special impression in this pidding actually...i wanted the vanilla factor in

mallika- i think so too ;)

madhu- glad u feel the same!!

padma- everything here is quick fix!

anon-thnks! i will try that..


linda- welcome madame...hope u visit again


redchillies - that is what i am talking girl...

sreelu- what re!! not fair on this one :) this yeilds 4 large glasses, coz we are making 2 layers per glass:)

sra- ha ha...thanks sra

cynthia - actually this combo ain't too bad :)

SeeC said...

Hi Rajitha,

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Banana pudding is very tempting.

Liked your Veggie Bread Rolls and Kesari bhath too.

Very useful notes.

BTW I have added your blog to my blogroll. Hope it is fine with you.

Laavanya said...

Lovely Pudding Rajitha and that's super easy to make huh? I like the addition of the nilla wafers...

Nirmala said...

I agree. Bananas in India are much more flavorful. I would have several a day fresh from the farm. Thanks for bringing back the memory.

Your dessert looks divine.

Sig said...

That's sooo easy, and sounds yummy... And don't be ashamed of easy recipes, I live on those :D we need more of these out there

Rajitha said...

seec- of-course it is fine...will be adding u to mine too :) and thanks...

laavanya - it is easy..the nilla wafers in my opinion is the best ;)

nirmala - wow! fresh ones..they would be better than what i had too :)

sig - love u girl! he he i was not ashamed..but i still wanted people to say it's ok! i know...i have some issues ;)

TBC said...

The biggest head in town... name starts with a "G"? ... You mean Giada? :-(
I hope you're not talking about her 'cos I happen to love her show & recipes! I 've tried soooooo many of her recipes and each one has been absolutley great.

Rajitha said...

TBC- sorry girl! it is her..i actually have been put off by her 'boob-show'..and no i am not jealous!! actually i also dislike paula coz she's loud and licks her fingers and dips them in other food..yuck!...hope you don't hate me :(

TBC said...

I agree, she does show a lot of " boobage" ;-)

It's o.k... I still love you!( not like that yaar;-)

mb said...

Looks great! Thanks for your JFI entry :) -- Mandira

Rajitha said...

love u 2 tbc ha ha

thnks mandira :)

Latha Narasimhan said...

Me too rajitha! Cook sometime post some time!:)) Very tasty and lovely looking dessert!

sdf said...

That was a great simple recipe.. & a very easy one to try.. I will give it a try. BTW, I tried the Vegetable paneer kurma of yours & it came out really yummy... Thanks for the recipe :-)

Kribha said...

Looks yummy Rajitha. Love the pudding and also the way you served it. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Rajitha said...

latha- see great minds do do things alike ;)

ani - thnks for letting me knoww..u made my day girl :)

kribha - thnks..it was so easy girl!

Shella said...

The pudding looks very welcoming

s said...

looks YUMMY
http://forkbootsandapalette.wordpress.com