Friday

Veggie Bread Rolls




I have a confession to make..i love all food deep-fried..and am certain there are many who are the same. So, i love the samosas,bajjis,bondas...but i love these veggie bread rolls the best. I think it is because, you have to make these at home to eat them..i have never seen them sold anywhere. I remember as a child asking ..actually begging my amma to make these..as she really did not like to make too many deep fried snacks. I think her her reluctance to make any deep fried food was my basic lack of portion control..which sadly has continued to my adulthood too ;)..anyway i digress..i would basically eat 4 to 5 of these and feel miserable the rest of the evening..but would be ready to eat thair-chadam (curd rice) at dinner time ;) he he. She would make 2 types of filling, one was with potatoes and peas the other was tomato and onion. They both are equally delicious and the last time i went home..amma made these and guess what....i overate again ;)

I made the potato peas bread-roll..here is the recipe. I of-course added garlic, which was a complete no-no in my house..so feel free to add in any veggie you want..

Ingredients:

Bread - 10 slices
Potatoes - 3 medium (boiled and mashed smooth)
Peas - 1 cup (boiled and mashed roughly)
Onion - 1/4 cup ( finely diced)
Green Chilly - 1 (finely chopped)
Garlic - 1 (finely chopped)
Cilantro - 2 tbls (finely chopped)
Ajwain -1/2 tsp.
Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 tsp.
Salt - to taste
Water- to dip the bread in
Oil - to deep fry(yep..this is not healthy or as RR would say figure friendly...bah!)

Method:

1. Mix in all the ingredients except the bread and oil and keep aside.

2. Heat the oil in a pan to deep fry.

3. In a wide bowl, take some water..dip a slice of bread in it for a second, take it out and squeeze all the water..taking care the bread does not lose the shape.

4. Add some of the vegetable filling in the middle of the squeezed out bread and close the edges. Form the bread into an oblong shape making sure the bread is well sealed.

5. Now drop this in the hot oil very gently and deep fry for a few minutes.

6. Eat these when they are hot....and yeah yeah..go ahead and overeat ;)

Notes:

1. Do not get greedy and put too much of filling inside.

2. Preshape the filling in oblongs, so that they fit in the bread easily.

3. Make two at a time and deep fry immidiately, you cannot preform all the bread ahead with filling and fry later,as they will get soggy......water, bread...get it ;)

This is my entry to the WYF- Snacks hosted by Hima of SnackoRama

35 comments:

FH said...

When it's looks so yummy, I have to overeat!;D
YUM, great entry Rajitha!:)

TBC said...

Rajitha,
That looks great:-)Have not tried stuffing bread with potatoes & peas.
I too love deep-fried things but rarely make it:-(
I too am a garlic lover & add it in almost everything that doesn't even require it:-)

Mansi said...

great snack! I blogged about them a month or so ago...just love these things!

Chef Jeena said...

What a great way to use bread, great recipe I love samosa and the likes also YUM! :)

Namratha said...

Simple recipe and looks delicious! No second guesses as to why you overeat this one all the time...pic says it all! :)

Cynthia said...

Rajitha honey, I think that if all of us are honest, we'd have to admit that we have a weakness for deep-fried foods :D

Nabeela said...

That's my fear with deep fried food too....over-eating and then feeling guilty! :)
And by the way, thanks for dropping by my blog. So many new blogs have cropped up since I took my hiatus that's its difficult to keep track of them. Anyway, my point is, welcome to the blogosphere :)

sra said...

Nice post. Your notes, esp the first one, made me laugh.

Apple said...

Lovely rolls Rajitha...should have been so tasty...I too love deep fried items :(

Sreelu said...

Rajitha, is true that you never find this on a menu, I love this, hey onion and tomato you should post that recipe too. I have few freinds coming in the eveing. This might be a good appetizer to make

Rajitha said...

asha- i know you would see my point..it really is not my fault ;)

tbc- same here on all ur points!

mansi - i love these guys to..will chek ur out too...

jeena- i love samosas too :)

namratha - thanks for understanding hon..can u now tell my mom this basic thing too..she finds it funny when i complain i am too full..no sympathy!!

cynthia - i know..but some people are in control and then there are people like me ;)

nabeela- my greatest fear too..and it always comes true!

sra- thnks..glad i could make u laugh :)

apple- welcome to the gang girlie

zlamushka said...

Hi Rajitha,

i have never heard of deepfried bread rolls. Very interesting. Your post is very funny, too... we all over eat ourselves occasionally. It only proves what a great cook you are ;-)

Anonymous said...

Looks yum, Rajitha! I think fried foods are a universal favorite. I over-indulge too and then feel guilty! Over-indulging part, I don;t mind but it's the guilt that gets to me! Gotta work on that:)

Pooja V said...

This is looks so delicious n even i wud have overeaten these if i were in your place.

ushaprashanth said...

Hi!
Veggie bread rolls looks delicious!!!!! perfect entry for the event! picture is beautiful!

Padma said...

That looks yummy but do come with huge loads of cals :( But its ok once in a while

Finla said...

Same here i love fried food. And after eating them in excess fell guilty.
If i get my hands on the veggie roll i would eat few of them yum

Laavanya said...

These look so good that it would actually be a sin to not overeat I think! :) I've had something similar just once, loooong back but I remember loving it. I've been trying very hard to stay away from deep fried food for more than a month now. During the Puri marathon, it was almost impossible to not give in. Here you are tempting me again.

Sig said...

My name is sig, and I am a deepfriedfoodoholic.... :)
I can sit and eat tons of deep fried stuff without giving a second thought to portion control... yeah, as you said I feel miserable after that, but its all worth it :)... never had these fried bread rolls though... looks super yummy...

sdf said...

Great snack & and some good tips.. wish I live near your place.. I can come over for some of these yummy bread rolls.

SMN said...

Hi Lovely fried snacks.. i shud try this.. thnx for sharing

Rajitha said...

sreelu - i know..what a bummer..if i open a restaurant..i will have these in as starters...i will post the tomato onion one soon :)

zlamushka - he he ..it also proves i am a glutton ;)

vani - i know..we need to devise a modus-operandi over the guilt part..

pooja- glad to find a partner in crime...

usha - they were good...sooo good..and thanks :)

padma - that is the rona-dhona for..calories, if these were low on them i would eat them every Saturday.

Rajitha said...

happy cook - i think it is the same story everywhere...i do feel better ;)

laavanya- the puri marathon was a killer...well, glad to tempt you, coz u tempt me with all that yummy food in ur blog all the time!

sig- ha ha...no recovering i see...good..now where is that amazing place where we get to meet our sisters in crime..

ani - same here...if you lived close, i could make these and pretend they were for you ;)

smn - they are good..thnks :)

Anu said...

Hi Rajitha,
Completely agree with u...anything fried is delicious :) BTW, there is only one place i have found these yummy rolls, in a small snack shop back home in Mumbai and i so miss all that street food. Your post brought back memories of these rolls and i want to make them soon.

Anonymous said...

Rajitha, Those look awesome. Golden color, crispy perfect snack. Thanks for sending them to me.

TheCooker said...

Deep fried carbs...whats not to like ;)
This was the first dish/ snack my fav. cousin made. They are soo good! Agree w/ you, I'll take these over samosas, bhajjis etc.

Kumudha said...

This looks so good!
Which bread did you use?

Rajitha said...

anu..mumbai really..which area?? perhaps next time whn i go to mumbai..i will dig in ;)

hima- i should thank u for holding this great event!

cooker - glad to know u feel the same!

kumudha - thnks..just basic brown color but named whole wheat enriched bread ;)

Sreelu said...

Rajitha, made breadrolls this weekend and wrote about it on my blog,check it out when u get a chance

Kribha said...

Count me in. I'm a deep fry lover too. Your bread rolls look awesome. Wanna grab a bite with that sauce. Simply superb.

Tee said...

Truly delicious! I love bread rolls and its been ages since i made these...have to make them soon now :)

Rajitha said...

sreelu - thaks girl..that was sweet of u to lemme know :)

kribha - i love deep-fried food too..

tee -thnks! this is the first time i made them too....the snackorama did it ;)

Raaga said...

Have been trying to leave a comment on your latest pizza post that just cracked me up... but I'm not able to... love your blog girl and enjoy letting you crack me up.

Rajitha said...

raaga- the pleasure is all mine....love ur blog too..u know that right..

Shella said...

Raji the best way to control fried food is make less - eat less. That works perfectly. This way you have the satisfaction of making it & eating it, but dont get much to eat. Give me the recipe for the tomato / onion filling. Have never tried that in bread roll.