When it is the weekend..i like to make something substantial but easy for lunch..as we get up really really late..so making a full blown lunch is painful and i am no longer in the mood to eat out.. the food really sucks..and i am bored to make sure that there is no meat..no cheese...no this and that...i figure, i might as well make it.
This dish is basically pongal..but has some khichdi element..so the confusion on the title..i thought how would 'Ponchi' sound..nah...'Khigal' worse i tell u...anyway, here is the lo-down on the recipe. It needs a little pre-planning..not that u guys are going to make this...but if you are..keep this in mind.
Green Moong - 1/2 cup
Red Lobia - 1/2 cup
Carrots,Peas,Green Beans and Corn - 1/2 cup each
Onion - 1/2 medium
Green Chilly -2
Oats - 1 cup (i used quick cooking oats)
Milk - 1 cup
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Pepper-Jeera Powder - 1/2 tsp (freshly powdered...if possible)
Mustard Seeds,Channa Dal and Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp. each
Oil - 1 tsp.
Ghee- 1 tsp.
1. Presoak the green moong and red lobia for 2-3 hours (overnite..even better)
2. Pressure cook this for 4 whistles, till they are well cooked..mush them a little.
3. Toast the oats on a dry skillet and keep aside.
4. Dice the carrots and beans to bite sized pcs.
5. Chop the onions finely and split the green chilly in the middle.
6. In a wide pan, add the oil, then add the mustard seeds..when it pops add the channa dal,urad dal and fry in medium high till light brown.
7. Add the onions,green chilly and the rest of the veggies and saute till the veggies are tender. You can add a little water to help along.
6. Add the oats, the milk and the water with required salt and let this cook on medium heat.
7. Add the cooked green moong and lobia when the oatmeal starts to thicken.
8. It will take only a couple of minutes for this to come together. Add the
pepper-jeera powder and 1 tsp. of ghee and remove from heat.
9. The oatmeal thickens a little more in time.
1. Adding curry leaves and ginger to this would be really great.. i was out of both of these.
2. Adding cashews to this will be even better..did not strike me when i was making this..
3. This makes a lot..easily enough for 4..just to let u know :)