Sunday

Here are my fav. books

I love cookbooks and so do many of us :) i think i am looks driven on this love of mine (i know..pretty shallow of me) but what can i do... I think books that are bound and have beautiful photos speak to the reader and also in a way show how the final product looks..tho i know the photos are doctored up...but still, there is an idea. i think books with pages and pages of recipes bore me and remind me of good ol' school books and boy! do i dread that :)


I think the only book i have that is a complete recipe book with no photos is ironically one of my favorites..i know i am contradicting myself (not a surprise for people who know me :D ). The book is 'Time Tested Recipes South India - Palghat Kerala'written by Mrs.Parvathi Ramanathan. This is the only book i know, which had recipes tuned to the way Palghat Iyer's cook. So, when i get silly doubts and it is really late at night for amma..i refer this book.



The other book i love is a book called 'Bread' by Eric Treuille and Ursula Ferrigno. This is a beautiful book with lovely photos and i have tried many recipes from this book and it has been a success..I love this book, as i enjoy baking and it assures me success and not a major clean-up in the kitchen..which drives me nuts ;)


This is off to Nags who blogs at
For the Cook in me and is hosting a fun event Show Me Your Cook Books!!

17 comments:

TBC said...

I have very few cookbooks and none of them are my favorites. Actually, these days I get all my recipes from other blogs so I don't even miss not having a good cookbook.The ones I have , I don't even use!

bee said...

ursula ferrigno's books always have great photographs. i love to just ogle at them.

Laavanya said...

Interesting cookbooks Rajitha... the breads on the cover look really good.

Viji said...

As TBC said, most of the recipes are not reliable to some extent. But some are really worth owning. Nice to see your books. Viji

Sig said...

I love palaghat iyer food... Never heard of this author... one more book added to the list of books to buy from India... I am in serious need of some regional Indian cookbooks, thought I had all the Mallu books... :)

Apple said...

Cover page of Breads book looks lovely Rajitha...

sra said...

I've never come across the Palghat book. I suppose it doesn't mean Malayali cooking?

Latha Narasimhan said...

Your books are nice rajitha!:)) Looks like everyone other than me has great books to show off!

FH said...

I would LOVE to have that book without the pics for myself.They are the best kind!!
Bread book, I have it, love it and but baked only few though!:))

Finla said...

I have a book on Kerala cooking and that too is with no pictures. But i have used it a lot of time.
Even though i like cook books with lots of pic :-))

Sia said...

i guess i am the only one who has just 1 cookbook to show off;) well, i got to start my own collection now coz u ladies are tempting me enough with the descriptions

Rajitha said...

tbc- that is true..i think soo many blogs are out here..there is really not a need for books..but i still buy them ;)

bee- u are right..they look divine!

laavanya - actually the bagel drew me to it :)

v- u are right..but i like to see them before i go to sleep so that i can dream of food

sig- my aunt got this for me..i think you get this only in chennai and mumbai...she is not too popular, but as i said..the only palghat iyer cookbook author :)

apple - :) i know..yummy!

sra- it is a juxterpose of kerala and tamil-nadu food....

latha- u don't need a cookbook....you should write one :)

asha - same pinch..well.. i have been on a baking spree

happy cook - glad to meet a nut like me ;)

sia - u now buy books and blame it in us ;)

S said...

that was a nice semi homemade banana pudding..i like ur blog

Rajitha said...

thanks shanti :)

Padma said...

NIce collection Rajitha, but the bread book photo looks appetizing! feel like grabbing, I got such books from Library

J said...

guess I need to buy more cookbooks now :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rajitha,

Was just browsing and came across this post. I absolutely love the Palghat cooking cook book(I thought I was the only one who had the book). and the recipes in there are exactly like what my mom makes (ob..I am pgt Iyer)

Aparna