Monday

Pineapple Kesari Bhath



My earliest memory of eating pineapple kesari was around when i was 10. Our neighbour and my amma's good friend is kannadiga madhwa. Aunty is very religious and would often send over the prasad for us..actually for me to eat, as she was aware that i loved this kesari and her cucumber kosambri. Well, i was not happy to wait for aunty to make and send and would as usual whine about how i never get to eat what i like and all that bakwaas rona-dhona...Well, one day when i came back from school amma had made this for tiffin and boy was i thrilled.

I actually had a deep fried snack planned to RCI - Karnataka..but after frying the last bread batch up..my courage failed me...and Jeeves (my husband) has been asking everyday...kuch meetha hai kya?? and just the other day when he wanted to eat my stash of pineapple i told him to move away (i know..i am a meanie ;)..so i thought this is the best option for RCI and for fixing Jeeves sweet and pineapple fix ;) boy! i am smart

This is off to Asha of Foodie's Hope who is a total sweetheart and is hosting RCI - Karnataka

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

Rava: 1 cup
Sugar: 2 cups
Water: 2 1/2 cups
Pineapple: 1 cup (finely diced - do not use the core)
Ghee: 1 1/2 tbls
Almonds: 10 (broken in bits)
Raisins: 2 tbls
Saffron : a generous pinch

Method:

1. Boil water in a kettle and keep it hot to make the kesari.

2. In a pan, put 1 tbls of ghee, fry the almonds and raisins till the raisins are plumped and keep aside.

3. To the same pan, add the rava and fry till fragrant,remove and keep aside.

4. Again in the above pan, add the pineapple, 1/2 cup of sugar (from the 2 cups), 1/4 cup of water (not from the 2 1/2 cups) and cook the pineapple in medium flame till soft and all the water has evaporated.

5. Add the rava to the pineapple and mix well, and gently add the water while stirring the rava-pineapple mix.

6. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the nuts and raisins, 1/2 tbls of ghee,
1 1/2 cups of sugar,saffron and mix well. Switch off the gas and eat it hot or cold.

Notes:

1. You can definately reduce the sugar to 1 1/2 cups..it was quite sweet actually.

2. I personally prefer adding rawa to boiling water and not vice-versa...but for this kesari it is not possible...i did land up with a few lumps :( which i very lovingly transferred to jeeves bowl ;) ha ha

3. You can make the same kesari with bananas too.....

32 comments:

Laavanya said...

I made the pineapple kesari from TBCs blog a while ago and my husband liked it. Yours looks great too.. will try it next :)

Coffee said...

Kesari bhaat was common at home..... but pineapple kesari iis something which I am seeing for the first time. :)

Sreelu said...

Rajitha, Never made pineapple kesari,caannot even imagine banana kesari

amna said...

standard dish in my home when guests are coming over :)

Suganya said...

Been wanting to try this for a long time. Looks pretty!

Sig said...

Lol...poor jeeves... well, you did all the hard work, so I guess he deserves the lumps, eh? :D looks yummy... nice color...

Apple said...

yumm yummm..looks delicious rajitha..

Manju said...

sounds delicious!!! u have a very interesting blog here.. :)

Finla said...

Wow what a great colour for the dessert.
It looks so delicious

FH said...

Thank you sweetie, Pineapple makes Kesari bhath so tasty! I love the photo, thanks for taking time!:))

Richa said...

mouthwatering :)
looks so very moist n yum!

Bong Mom said...

this should be yummm...I can smell the pineapple in it. Going to try it next

TBC said...

ha ha...nice post! Poor hubby;-)
PKB looks yummy!

bee said...

lovely. why is it called bhath? isn't bhath associated with rice? or is it used for sooji preparations? please pardon my ignorance.

bee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Padma said...

Such a handsome looking bhath....I have to try this...seen this floating on so many blogs these days ;)

Anonymous said...

Rajitha kesari bath looks so beautiful with that colour.. delicious.

Unknown said...

This is something new to me. Looks wonderful. It goes to my must try list.

Chef Jeena said...

Rajitha your picture looks so good I could taste it. Wonderful recipe. :)

Pdk said...

Looks yummy.. u know what.. im feeling hungry and craving for sweet actually....

Rajitha said...

laavanya - thnks! lemme know if u like it :)


coffee - actually i have never eaten this anywhere other than my neighbour aunty too..

sreelu - actually it is pretty good, the pineapple taste is not strong :)..but the banana is pretty strong ( i do not like it)

nags - glad to know you have eaten this too..

suganya - thanks..do try..u will like it

sig- ha ha..u know..he did not even notice it!!

apple - thanks :)

superchef - it was! and thanks hon :)

happy cook - the color is on account of saffron..amazing right!

asha - anything for u..u always take the time on leaving comments for us :)

richa - i was a bit surprized too..esp. not too much ghee

sandeepa- do try..but in all honesty the saffron shines thru more than pineapple ( again..amybe my pineapple was not too fragrant!)

tbc- ha ha...i know..i am really a meanie..

bee- to be honest..i do not know why! the aunty called it bhath and i called it the same...sorry
:(..and please u r not ignorant :)

padma - ha ha..handsome indeed ;)

madhu - i am fida on the color too..

pushpa - do try..it is pretty good..

jeena - thanks! glad u could get a bite ;)

priya - if u lived near..i would have got u some :)

Swaruchy said...

Ur Pineapple kesari baath looks delicious Rajitha....I received the post 2 days back.....Thanks dear :-)

Cynthia said...

I'd like to have my fridge stacked in individual serving containers of this - that would be great!

Vani said...

Can't see the photo, for some reason. But I love pineapple kesari bhath though i've never tried to make it myself. Should do so soon. Thanks for sharing sucha nice recipe :)

Seena said...

Nice recipe Rajitha,
could see many kesari recipes this month..

Rajitha said...

sirisha - oh! good..looking fwd to ur entry

cynthia - thnks....that was a plan..but it got over before dinner!!

vani - thnks, hmm...some countries do not support flickr..perhaps that was the reason :(

seena - i know :)

Kribha said...

I wanted a good recipe for trying out pineapple kesari and atlast I found it. Bookmarked it.Love your picture. The color looks great.

Prajusha said...

rajitha,
pineapple kesari looks delicious. I made kesari bhath for RCI:)
thanks for sharing the recipe

sdf said...

Wow! Lovely pic and a great recipe.. Will have to try it next week .. I have made banana kesari, but pineapple seems interesting..

Rajitha said...

kribha - do try and lemme know :)

prajusha - hey! same pinch :) great minds do think alike ;)

ani - do try out girl...lemme know

Anonymous said...

oh..the kesari looks so beautifull...i absolutely love this preperation...could smell the wonderful arome while reading the blog...

Pooja Na(i)rayan said...

My cousin tried this recipe and fwded this too me. Thanks for sharing . I am sure my pineapple addicted hubby will like this