Friday

Pal Payasam and an Award



It is a custom to make pal payasam at my home to celebrate anything...what a freakin lie!! well the real deal is my sis and me hate pal-payasam (it is true) and appa is a diabetic and my mom never makes anything for herself.. so this was a novelty at my place.. only when my grandma would visit us and make this as prasadam for guruvayuappan..her favorite god..she even lives in guruvayoor so that she can go to the temple twice a day!

Fast forward many years.. i am married to a nut and he dreams of sweets and payasams and is constantly begging, demanding and asking for sweets and payasams. I decided to make pal-payasam today as he has been working waay to hard at work and as i do not like this...(yeah! from hate to do not like...) so, i may have a cup instead of fighting with him over who ate more and who gets more....

Here is the recipe..super simple

Ingredients:

Full Milk - 1 litre
Sugar - 1 cup
Rice - 1 fistful (i used ponni rice)

Method:

1. Wash rice at-least 5 to 6 times to remove the starch.

2. Put this rice in a huge vessel (that can fit in ur biggest cooker), add the milk and pressure cook this for 4 whistles and let it simmer for 10 minutes more. The milk should come only to half the vessel, so that there is space for the milk to expand when pressure-cooked.

3. When the steam is released,take the vessel out of the cooker and keep it on the gas top and cook it on low heat for 10 mts.. you should get some color on it by now.

4. Add the sugar and cook it for 10 minutes more on low heat so that it reduces and gets deeper in color.

5. Pour into bowls (like me) or coffee mugs (like my husband!) and drink up ;)

Notes:

1. This is not the thick and creamy versions.. as there is too little rice.

2. Have tried making it low fat.. not that great.. but can be done

Now on the award...ta.dah!!
keerthi has been kind to give me this award.. thanks keerthi it does make me happy to realise that i am a schmoozer.. in real life that is a horror but in blog life.. a compliment..that is for sure..



i am supposed to pass this on to five.. but i think i am giving this to every person who makes the effort to hit my blog ( yep.. i am selfish;) but on a serious note.. it is cool when i see people who get a minimum of 30 hits on every entry go all out and compliment and encourage others.. that is cool and you all know who they are.. so keep on rocking people or should i say keep on schmoozing ;)

30 comments:

Swaruchy said...

Congrats on the award Rajitha :-)
Your Pal Payasam looks great.I do it bt I do not pressure cook it...Its makes life so easier right...I spend hours near the gasstove to make it....Will try this out :-)

FH said...

Here to schmooze you!:)

Pal Payasam looks cool.My grandmother used to give us fresh warm milk(from the cow) with loads of sugar whenever we visited her,looks exactly like that! Did I like it? Not much either but came with lot of love!!:))

Pravs said...

Hey congrats on the award ! My first stop here and i see a pal payasam. Sweet beginning :) One doubt...when placing a vessel inside a cooker to pressure cook, do you have to pour little water like you do while steaming ?

Suma Gandlur said...

Love that paal payasam. Will give it a try. It is the opposite way at my place. I die for sweets and my husband don't even taste them.:)
Congrats for the award.

archana said...

Payasam looks nice and that bowl is pretty :) Congrats on the awards :)

TBC said...

Don't like pal payasam or anything with pal:-( but still like u ;-)
Congrats on the award, u schmoozer.
You made me go to the store and hunt for quinoa today. I will make something with it soon:-)

Latha Narasimhan said...

Congrats for the award! Paal payasam looks yummy!! This is the way my iyer friend prepares. I do not like short cut methods like using milk powder or condensed milk for this recipe!Your recipe is nice rajitha!
Thanks for making me feel very young!!:))

Latha Narasimhan said...

BTW rajitha, the number of comments has nothing to do with no of hits. Some bloggers are really busy and find no time to comment, especially when the page does'nt load fast. If you have nice recipes like your paalpayasam people will visit to know details when they want to cook. Tomorrow I am preparing batura from Pooja.v's blog. I am looking around for a suitble curry other than chole.
I too did not pass the awards as most of them have these. may be we should think of some new award!

Anonymous said...

pal payasam looks delicious :).

i think il like the thin version better. makes it seem more like a drink than a sweet!!!

Rajitha said...

sirisha-glad to help girl.. this is easy


asha - aha! welcome my lady... i know anything given with love is hard to refuse

pravs-yes.. you have to put in some water in the cooker.. or the cooker will burn...thanks for dropping in :)

suma - thnks..see in every marriage one polishes the spicy stuff and one the sweet..perfect!!

archana - i love that bowl too..i like see thru stuff in serveware

tbc- welcome fellow schmoozer..i like u too :)

latha - thnks..and no it is not fair to age anybody.. you are as young as you feel..in my case.. it is 21 ;)..thanks for the explaining on the blog hits.. i was just kidding..but that awfully nice of you..

lakshmi - thnks.. that is why my husband used a coffee mug ;)

amna said...

congrats rajitha :)

Finla said...

Congrats with your award.
I have to be honest i am also not a palpayasam fan.

Richa said...

that sure is a quick method to make payasam.
i read somewhere that putting a small steel katori inside the vessel helps avoid the splatter/overflow in the cooker!!

Jayashree said...

Rajitha, this is my first visit here....you have some nice posts....
Like you, Iam not fond of pal payasam...the only payasam that I can tolerate is paladapradhaman.
congrats on the award.

Namratha said...

Pal Payasam...yummy yummy...there goes my diet again :D I love anything made with milk and rice, can't resist!! Congrats on the award, you sure deserve it dear:)

Kribha said...

You don't like pal payasam??? Actually, I love this. Your picture is making me drool here.Congrats on your award. I had a laugh after reading the reason for not passing on the award. Nice one.

Sig said...

Hey Rajitha, u hate..err..don't like pal payasam? I used to hate the sarkkara payasam, or any brown payasam... but love these...
Congrats on the award, u are one of my favorite funny gals... :)

Rajitha said...

nags- thanks ponne.. ;)

happy cook - aha! the truth finally comes out..pal payasam sucks ;)


richa- that is a nice tip.. thnks for sharing

jayashree- thnks...and happy to note u dislike this too ;)

namratha - diet..oh! yeah, i was supposed to be on one too ;)

kribha - thnks..i speak my mind girl...u comin..u gettin hehe

sig - thnks madame..aha! finally i get to be the clown after a long time.. i was a major nutcase in my class (school) too...

Kajal said...

Pal Payasam looks simple but this is very delicious and healthy too. We say it “Rice Kheer” in Gujarati.

Viji said...

Rajitha, congrants on the award and the pal payasam is perfect in color and consistency. Next time try in cooker itself (instead of keeping a vessel inside the cooker), you will be surprised with the result. And i used to dry roast the rice a little. Who doesn't like this delicious kheer. Have a good day. Viji

Shah cooks said...

pal payasam looks good. can't imagine anyone not liking payasam..:)

Rajitha said...

kajal- it is simple..healthy mmm..maybe ;)

viji - i don't like this kheer he he..u know, i will try to do in the cooker next time..good idea..

mallugirl - thnks..and I am living proof of not liking this payasam..which btw makes my husband very very happy..

Bharathy said...

Wow,That payasam has got the perfect colour..Neat shot..I too prefer the watery version which is drinkable :)..was looking out for the pressure cooker recipe..Thank you Rajitha!

Well said abt the schmooze award!!:)

Rajitha said...

bharathy.. glad to help...also happy to note..many agree with the schmooze stuff he he

Padma said...

Payasam looks in pefect consistancy....and congratulations on the award

EC said...

hi, your pal payasam looks great and maybe the most simplest. It is a bit different from what i do. Will try out your recipe too. thanks for visiting my blog.

Rajitha said...

padam - thanks....

easycrafts - it is simple...do let me know if u like it..thanks for dropping in too

Deepa said...

Lord, this is so yummy looking. Co-incidentally, I wrote about paayasam also and especially about the "reddening" of the paayasam. Actually, it was an article about falooda, I hate falooda and I was contrasting it with paayasam. Here is the link:
http://desicritics.org/2007/09/12/053713.php

Rajitha said...

deepa- that was a good read..as a kid i have hated it..as an adult..well..i do like it now.

MR said...

that's simple..
I usually cook it in a vessel for long hrs.
this is much simpler
will try it for sure :)