Pal Payasam and an Award
It is a custom to make pal payasam at my home to celebrate anything...what a freakin lie!! well the real deal is my sis and me hate pal-payasam (it is true) and appa is a diabetic and my mom never makes anything for herself.. so this was a novelty at my place.. only when my grandma would visit us and make this as prasadam for guruvayuappan..her favorite god..she even lives in guruvayoor so that she can go to the temple twice a day!
Fast forward many years.. i am married to a nut and he dreams of sweets and payasams and is constantly begging, demanding and asking for sweets and payasams. I decided to make pal-payasam today as he has been working waay to hard at work and as i do not like this...(yeah! from hate to do not like...) so, i may have a cup instead of fighting with him over who ate more and who gets more....
Here is the recipe..super simple
Full Milk - 1 litre
Sugar - 1 cup
Rice - 1 fistful (i used ponni rice)
1. Wash rice at-least 5 to 6 times to remove the starch.
2. Put this rice in a huge vessel (that can fit in ur biggest cooker), add the milk and pressure cook this for 4 whistles and let it simmer for 10 minutes more. The milk should come only to half the vessel, so that there is space for the milk to expand when pressure-cooked.
3. When the steam is released,take the vessel out of the cooker and keep it on the gas top and cook it on low heat for 10 mts.. you should get some color on it by now.
4. Add the sugar and cook it for 10 minutes more on low heat so that it reduces and gets deeper in color.
5. Pour into bowls (like me) or coffee mugs (like my husband!) and drink up ;)
1. This is not the thick and creamy versions.. as there is too little rice.
2. Have tried making it low fat.. not that great.. but can be done
Now on the award...ta.dah!!
keerthi has been kind to give me this award.. thanks keerthi it does make me happy to realise that i am a schmoozer.. in real life that is a horror but in blog life.. a compliment..that is for sure..
i am supposed to pass this on to five.. but i think i am giving this to every person who makes the effort to hit my blog ( yep.. i am selfish;) but on a serious note.. it is cool when i see people who get a minimum of 30 hits on every entry go all out and compliment and encourage others.. that is cool and you all know who they are.. so keep on rocking people or should i say keep on schmoozing ;)