I love this snack and i guess so do many...I usually abstain from making deep fried food...but sometimes i prefer to make than to buy..b'coz of the huge packets we get in indian stores. Really!! why don't they keep smaller packets..it is not that smaller sizes are not available..the haldiram packet is huuuge and i think for a family of 2 it is waay too much. I am not one who can take a handfull and stop..i keep going for seconds and thirds..and in no time the packet is finished and i feel sick..and i mean really sick..coz too much of oil is just nasty...
I really wanted to eat alu chat and wanted a sprinkle of sev on top..so i decided to fry-up a small batch. I thought the noodles came out look wierd!! but they tasted good..so i was a happy camper...
This gives only 2 to 3 circles...so it is good for portion control :)
1.Besan - 3/4 cup
2.Rice flour - 1 tsp.
3.Ajwain - 1/2 tsp.
4.Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp.
5.Salt - to taste...about 1/2 tsp.
6.Hot oil - 1 tbls
7.Oil- for deep frying
1. Make a tight dough with ingredients 1-6 using some warm water.
2. Take a sev press and press out in a circular fashion in hot oil.
3. Deep fry till golden brown and drain on a colander that has been lined with lots of oil absorbant paper.
4. When they are cooled, transfer the omapodi to closed dabbas and try doing portion-control ;)...
1. When you make the dough..let it not be too hard..or ur hands will really hurt when you press.
2. When you press, let the oil be on high..but when you start to fry make the flame medium high..b'coz you do not want the omapodi to brown out too quick.
I am also submitting the above pic to the Click event started by the Jugalbandi team.