Friday

Get Vegasconed!!



When Suganya announced that November was Vegan month and she wanted us to submit vegan fare to her event..i decided to make something that would usually contain eggs or milk and veganise it. I love scones and have stopped eating them from 3 years..after i gave up eggs....and i never bothered to make them at home..coz frankly i was a wee bit intimidated!!..but i guess i decided to take the scone
head-on!!

I really like the Farmgirl fare blog Farmgirl Fare and do visit her quite often and i remembered bookmarking this recipe of Savoury Cheese and Scallion Scones. I of-course made tons of changes and here is my recipe :)

Ingredients:

All-purpose flour - 3 cups.
Baking powder - 1 tbls.
Baking soda- 1 tsp.
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp.
Tofutti Cream Cheese - 8 oz. (this is a vegan cream cheese)
Leeks - 2 small or 1 large (finely chopped)
Mint leaves- 1/2 cup- (finely chopped)
Red Pepper flakes - 1 tbls.
Lite soy milk - 1 cup
Flax meal - 2 tbls

Glaze on scones
2 tbls soy milk

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 400F.

2. Mix the flour,b.soda,b.powder and salt.

3. Nuke the cream-cheese in the microwave for a minute till it softens. Add it to the above and mix it in with a fork...do not get rough on it :)

4. Whisk the flax-meal and the soy milk till it gets frothy and add to the above. Also add the leeks,mink and the red-chilly flakes to the semi- dough.

5. Knead this lightly.. and form a large circle on a well floured surface.

6. Divide into 8-10 wedges...and place it on a parchment lines cookie-sheet.

7. Brush the top with soy-milk for a glazed look and bake for 25 mts.

8. Cool this on a wire rack and eat it up. I made mine into a sandwich...green chutney,sweet chutney and cukes..yum!

Notes:

1. Please do not knead like how u would knead for rotis..be gentle for a flaky scone.

2. I think i should have added cumin or ajwain..it would have been even better.

3. I used a serrated knife to cut into wedges..i think a sharp-knife will do the same trick...just cut it firmly...

4. To know more about Tofutti ...go here




This is off to the talented Suganya who blogs at
Tasty Palettes
and is hosting the Vegan Ventures event.

29 comments:

TBC said...

When u said "scones", I immediately thought of Enid Blyton and the Famous Five. I loved those books and I have almost all of them in my collection back home:-)
I've never tasted a scone, I think. This looks good:)

Siri said...

Yumm-O! The scones looks awesome dear!..:D

~ Siri

bee said...

we've made them too (the dairy version).
http://jugalbandi.info/2007/03/spinach-and-spring-onion-scones/
it's a lovely recipe.

Sagari said...

scones look soo good yumm yuummmmmm

Bong Mom said...

looks so good, I somehow thought scones are not savory

Red Chillies said...

Yummo Rajita. I love your baking recipes as those are the kinds I look for (eggless, low-fat, healthy). I still have to try your vegan cinnamon cake.

Great entry. What does "Tofutti" mean?

Seena said...

Haven't tried one like this yet, I really loved this recipe seeing the picture..

KayKat said...

This is clever - I'll bet flax meal works really well to hold it all together.

Laavanya said...

Love the flavours going into you veganized scones.. Looks awesome Rajitha. I've not heard of Tofutti at all until now.
Like TBC i too used to dream about scones ever since i read those enid blyton books... :)

Priya said...

These savory scones look great. I made a few sweet ones without the eggs, but I used butter and milk for them. This one looks like a perfect thing to go with a hot cup of masala chai Rajitha :)

evolvingtastes said...

Oh these look lovely. Time for me to bookmarking this now. :-)

Rachel said...

veggie scones...nice recipe

Nupur said...

How perfectly delicious! I *love* the idea of a savory scone sandwich...now that would be a real treat.

Suganya said...

I have never made or tasted savoury scones. Tofutti and flax seeds should do the trick. Thanks for playing along Rajitha :)

Namratha said...

Hmm, looks so delicious, you are tempting me no end to try this...though I don't have most of the ingredients...hmm, food for thought! :)

Bharathy said...

Can I bite into jussssst one of them..pls??;)

Had a glance at your latest recipes too..Rocking!!!:)

Swati said...

Lovely looking scones...bet they would be even more delicious!!

Cynthia said...

Oh I love this! I've book-marked it to try. Thanks!

AnuSriram said...

Looks awesome... a must try for me... yummy...

Kumudha said...

Before becoming a vegan, I always used to bake scones using whipped cream.

This vegan scone looks so tasty!

SMN said...

Luks great must be tasting great too..

Kribha said...

OMG! That looks absolutely fabulous. Never tried the Tofutti Cream Cheese before. Looks yummy yummy good.

Seema said...

Nice one, had scones at a friends place. These are real good!!

Laavanya said...

Hi Rajitha, hope you are doing good. I don't see the comment i left earlier.. not sure if it didn't make it.. so just wanted to drop by again and let you know that these scones look lovely. I particularly like the fact that these are savoury and have leeks and mint.. sounds too good.

Rajitha said...

tbc- same here..esp with strawberry jam and clotted cream ;)..you must have had it here..just not realised they are scones :)

siri - thnks :)

bee- urs looks great bee..will use spinach the next time and try

sagari- thnks girl :)

sweet ones are more common sandeepa..

RC- aww..thnks..i updated it in the recipe..it is vegan cream-cheese

seena - thnks..do try

kaykat- u got that right sista..it works like an egg

laav- me too :)..i used to dream about these too..they are not as great as i thought they would be when i ate it first..too much hype i guess!!

priya - i make it with milk too ..but veganised this one ;)

evolvingtastes - do try and lemme know :)

rachel - thnks :)

nupur - it tasted better as a sandwich than straight-up actually!!

suganya - would have not missed it..

nammu - u can make this with any veggies u have on hand re....

bharathy - thnks :)

sugarcraft- they were good

cyn- thnks..lemme know how it comes out if u try

anu- thnks!!

kumudha = wow whipped cream huh..never thought of it...

smn- thnks

kribha - i am slowy adapting to veganism...so i buy tofutti now :)

seema - thnks girl

laav- thnks for chking up..u are so sweet :)... just busy for a while and had no time to reply to all comments..so decided to postpone :D

Finla said...

Wow scones look great. Never ever seen the special cheese u mentioned. Will check it out when i go for grocerry shoping next time

Viji said...

Lovely Rajitha, would like to have a bite from the photo, Nice presentation. Viji

Shella said...

I have never had scones too. But your pics tempt me enough to try them out. Are they going to be crispy, or maybe like a crumbly crunchy cookie??

Kribha said...

I've had only the sweet scones. Never tried the savory versions before. Looks so darn good. Btw, what is flax meal?