Okay here it goes..i wanted to make something fun and exotic for the ginger theme..some glaze or a fancy drink and as the days went..i kept thinking of what to make..how to present and the usual stuff..esp. when people posted for the ginger event. Then i thought..long weekend..yep! i will dish out something on those 4 days...but we had friends over...but i want to participate :(..so what does a fanatic do???...dig up old recipes not blogged from folders and submit :)..
Here is the Lemon pickle that my amma makes..she also makes one with red chilly powder..but as this version has good amounts of ginger..i am submitting for the Think Spice event hosted by the energetic Sunita who blogs at Sunita's world.
Here is the recipe...all the measurements are given in 'cups'..so you can use smaller cups or regular sized ones..depending on how much you want.
Lemons: 10 (appx)
Ginger: 1/2 cup cut in pcs.
Green Chilly: 1/2 cup cut in pcs
Salt: 1/2 cup
LG - 1/2 tsp.
Methi powder (roasted and powdered):1/2 tsp.
1. Reserve 4 lemons to be used later. Dice the remaining lemons in cubes.
2. Dice the ginger and green chilly in medium pcs.
3. Place the lemons,green chilly,ginger in a large bottle.
4. Add salt,methi powder and LG to the above. Add the juice of the reserved 4 lemons and mix well with a wooden spoon.
5. Now place the lemon pickle in the sun for 10-15 days...then the pickle is ready to eat!!
1. After the lemon pickle has been placed in the sun for the 10-15 day period..store the pickle in the fridge for a long shelf life.
2. Please make sure that u do not put the stalks of the green chillies..it is a pain to eat..can u guess how i know this...i know..i am such a moron!!
3. I made my pickle using a regular sized cup..so the lemons are specified for that qty..please adjust to yours.
Oh! yeah...and i have removed the word-verification for a nutty buddy of mine..so that she does not get mad when she is commenting on my food ;)