Wednesday

Salad...



I think in this season of eating...there is an overwhelming sense of guilt..esp. when you go hogging at the cookies and pies and what not... placed very
lovingly ?? (i don't think) at strategic points in the office.... I mean you cannot escape the food no matter how you try...unless you have self-restraint...which i sadly lack.

I usually try to balance a day of over-indulgence with a yummy soup or salad..so that i do not feel deprived... So here is my recipe for a quick and yummy salad..please feel free to adding and take out what you like...

Ingredients:

Steamed Corn - 1 cup
Raw Mango - 1/2 cup (diced)(It was not too sour...but i was happy when i saw it ;)
Carrots -1/2 cup (diced)
Cucumber - 1/2 cup (diced)
Onions - 1/2 cup (diced)
Black Beans - 1/2 cup (drained)
Dried Cherries - 1/2 cup (you can use any dried fruit)
Chat Powder - 1 tsp.
Lemon Juice - from one lemon
Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 tsp.
Cilantro - 2 tbls (chopped)

Method:

1.Boil the corn in minimum water for a couple of minutes without salt. If you are using frozen corn...do not add any water..let it just cook in the little
ice-crystals they carry...

2.Mix all the above together except the lemon and let it marinate for 10 mts in the fridge.

3.Before eating, squeeze the lemon juice.

Notes:

Do not let this marinate for too long..or it will get soggy.

Try to use veggies that do not give out too much water.

Try cutting all the veggies the same size if possible..

I tried to minimize the salt by just using the chat-powder and not adding more salt..as chat powder is pretty salty.




This is off to the powerless cooking event hosted by easy crafts who blogs at
an easy cooking blog.

27 comments:

Kribha said...

Looks so delicious & colorful Rajitha. I'm planning to incorporate a lot of salads in my diet. The americanized salads don't suit my palate. I'd rather starve. I'll surely try this and let you know.

EC said...

I just love corn in any form...thanks for the wonderful entry

Seema said...

Nice one.. yes in winter we feel like eating more...if we eat more salads its good!

Laavanya said...

I usually have a tough time eating salads.. i prefer something warm instead.. esp. now so prefer soups when I feel guilty of over-indulgence.. but this looks super.

Siri said...

Yummy and colorful salad Rajitha.. I am crazy about salads .. so this obviously goes to 'must-try' list now..:))

~ Siri

Sugarcraft India said...

Rajitha, a very nice colorful and yummy salad...Even I keep making this with whatever the fridge stocks and each time its yummy!!

TBC said...

Tell me about it, R! I think I eat more at work than I do at home these days. It's not the stress at work that's killing me... it's the food!;-)
Corn salad looks very nice.I 've never tried adding chaat masalabefore.

Sreelu said...

Rajitha, Hmm looks healthy and delicious.Nice entry

Richa said...

hey, u've cut the veg so fine, looks very pretty :)

Priya said...

hahaa...The guilt does get to everyone!! I have been doing a similar thing. Food Network is totally filled with festive goodies these past few weeks, making me hungry every time I watch their shows, even if I just had dinner :(( Your salad looks yummy with all that red chilli and chat powder !

Bindiya said...

Rajitha this is fabulous- sooo healthy.

Rina said...

Rajihta dear, can't ask anything more healthy and satisfying. Love the colorful display.

Namratha said...

Now that is one good looking salad! :) Couldn't agree more on the 'lack of self-restraint'..I'm full of it...hogging all the time. If salad could look this good all the time, I have no problems digging in...

remya said...

healthy salad....love that color...me too had put weight due to winter...eating more than usual...this salad is in my must try list..goin to make today....

Shweta said...

That will make a lovely lunch!

Finla said...

Such a cilour ful and healthy salade.

Suganya said...

You get raw mango even now?

Suma Gandlur said...

Healthy and looks yum.

Seema Bhat said...

Rajitha, your salad looks like charmuri( a kind of chat) for me. Raw mangoes in it should add a tangy hint to it. Love it.

Lakshmi said...

Delicious, colorfull and very filling salad Rajitha. Nice one. :)

sra said...

This looks really nice!

Anonymous said...

another great post from you - this looks incredible,and uses chat masala too!

Rajitha said...

kribha - ha ha...i am not a big fan of american salads too except greek salad which is just delicious :)


easy craftes - same here...

seema- that is true..winters make u crave food..

laav- i do too..but this is like eating a sabji..and i love corn ;)

siri - leem know if u like it :)

sugarcraft- i know...for me any veggie works..but i must have the corn :D

TBC - seriously!! and i have noticed all the skinny girls get
all the yummy stuff to work...grr

sreelu - it is yummy :)

richa - ha ha....actually i love cutting veggies and have an obsession on cutting them the same size!!..thnks for noticing :)

priya - for real!! the food looks good..but 1 stick of buttah is pretty much standard ;)

bindiya - thnks :)

rina - thnks girl :)..i think when i eat healthy i make it pretty to get motivated ;)

nammu - ha ha...it is hard to say i'll have just a bite when good food is around ;)

remya - i know..the weight just creeps up on ya..i try to eat healthy at-least on one meal..to balance the bad food!!

shweta - it is :)

happy cook - thnks

suganya - yep! my indian store had a huge bad...i did a lil jig when i saw them :D

suma - it is :)

seema - it was chatpata..else i have a hard time eating it :)

taste of mysore - it was filling and makes u feel good :)

sra - thnks girlie..

vegeyum - thnks girl..appreciate it

Cynthia said...

You are a very wise woman and we would do well to learn from you.

Sig said...

oh wow, green mango.. I am drooling here, I gotta make me this salad soon...

Unknown said...

first time i am seeing ur blog...soo many recipes...nowadays everyone is searching for healthy and less calorie recipes..this salad looks yummy...i will try it soon...thank u for sharing this..

Prema Sundar said...

nice salad .. I too prepare somewhat similar to this without corn and cherries.. will post it sometime.