When Suganya announced that November was Vegan month and she wanted us to submit vegan fare to her event..i decided to make something that would usually contain eggs or milk and veganise it. I love scones and have stopped eating them from 3 years..after i gave up eggs....and i never bothered to make them at home..coz frankly i was a wee bit intimidated!!..but i guess i decided to take the scone
I really like the Farmgirl fare blog Farmgirl Fare and do visit her quite often and i remembered bookmarking this recipe of Savoury Cheese and Scallion Scones. I of-course made tons of changes and here is my recipe :)
All-purpose flour - 3 cups.
Baking powder - 1 tbls.
Baking soda- 1 tsp.
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp.
Tofutti Cream Cheese - 8 oz. (this is a vegan cream cheese)
Leeks - 2 small or 1 large (finely chopped)
Mint leaves- 1/2 cup- (finely chopped)
Red Pepper flakes - 1 tbls.
Lite soy milk - 1 cup
Flax meal - 2 tbls
Glaze on scones
2 tbls soy milk
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Mix the flour,b.soda,b.powder and salt.
3. Nuke the cream-cheese in the microwave for a minute till it softens. Add it to the above and mix it in with a fork...do not get rough on it :)
4. Whisk the flax-meal and the soy milk till it gets frothy and add to the above. Also add the leeks,mink and the red-chilly flakes to the semi- dough.
5. Knead this lightly.. and form a large circle on a well floured surface.
6. Divide into 8-10 wedges...and place it on a parchment lines cookie-sheet.
7. Brush the top with soy-milk for a glazed look and bake for 25 mts.
8. Cool this on a wire rack and eat it up. I made mine into a sandwich...green chutney,sweet chutney and cukes..yum!
1. Please do not knead like how u would knead for rotis..be gentle for a flaky scone.
2. I think i should have added cumin or ajwain..it would have been even better.
3. I used a serrated knife to cut into wedges..i think a sharp-knife will do the same trick...just cut it firmly...
4. To know more about Tofutti ...go here
This is off to the talented Suganya who blogs at
Tasty Palettes and is hosting the Vegan Ventures event.