There have been quite a lot of lauki sabji's in the blogosphere a few days back making me want to make some too. The problem is Jeeves hates lauki..what a bummer :( ..keeps telling me it reminds him of the horrible hostel food...now horrible and food really do not belong in the same sentence! so i do not make this sabji as often as i would like to.
Last week i had made kathrikai curry (brinjal curry) and i hate brinjal and had quite a lot left over...so i decided to make my lauki sabji. I had no tomatoes on had and no canned ones and i wanted one with a gravy, i decided to improvise with what i had in hand. It is so simple,tasty and i had some left-over next day,which i had with uthappam..yummy!...Here is the recipe....
Lauki (Bottle-Gourd) - 1 meduim, cut in cubes
Red Chilly - 4
Garlic - 3 pods
Onions - 1/2 medium (diced)
Peanuts - 1/4 cup
Sesame Seeds - 2 tbls
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp.
Oil - 2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
Curry leaves - 3/4 torn
1. Boil all the lauki pcs with reqd. salt in 1 cup of water till they are cooked. Take care that they do not get mushy.
2. In a pan put 1 tsp of oil and fry lightly the onions,garlic,red-chilly, sesame seeds and peanuts.
3. Blend the roasted mixture in a blender adding some hot water and making a paste.
4. In a pan, add the remaining 1 tsp. oil, then the cumin seeds. Then add the blended mixture and cook on low flame for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the turmeric powder,red-chilly powder,curry leaves and some salt (keeping in mind the lauki is salted) and fry this mixture for about a minute more. Then add the lauki pcs, cook the sabji in medium flame for about 3-4 minutes and remove from heat.
This tastes better the next day!! really do not know why...
I wish i could claim that Jeeves loved it....but alas! he did not even taste it!! i kept telling him how he is missing out and how he must eat different veggies and lot of bull....and he offered me the brinjal...yep..that shut me up ;)....but i loved the sabji...his loss