Monday

Healthy Sprouts



When i used to think of sprouts as a teen it would be the horrible uncooked kind with some lemon squeezed on top with cucumbers and carrots and the same damn saying of 'it's good for you'. I think i fell in love with them when amma made usal and put her foot down that i must try it. Up till then i had somehow been able to escape eating it..but that day i was in a fix!! Lucky for me i loved it and still do and i eat it at-least twice a week without ever getting bored. But, the only way i like them is sauteed lightly ....and to a point where they sill retain their crunch. They are also great for you and keep you full for a long time.

I had never sprouted horse-gram (also known as kollu-tamil) till my previous visit to india where amma had started including them in her daily sprout mix. I loved its taste...it tasted something like mujjadra (middle-eastern dish) when sauteed with onions. In this recipe i combine sprouted horse-gram and the ever popular green moong with some veggies for a crunchy and satisfying tiffin or dinner when combined with soup.

Ingredients:

Green moong sprouts : 1 cup
Horse gram sprouts: 1/2 cup
Carrots:1 cup (diced)
Onions: 1/2 cup (diced very small)
Garlic: 2 pods (thinly sliced)
Ginger: 1" (grated)
Jeera - 1 tsp.
Curry leaves - 3 to 4,torn
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tsp.

Method:

1. In a wok, add the oil and add jeera.

2. Add the onions,ginger and garlic and fry till the onions have softened. Add the carrots and cook till they are cooked half-way...( have an uncooked taste..but not too crunchy)

3. Toss in the curry leaves,sprouts and salt and cook for a couple more minutes, till the carrots are cooked..but have a bite to them. You can sprinkle some water to help it along.

4. Serve them immediately, as they are not that great to taste when cold.

Notes:

You sprout the horse-gram the same way you would the green moong. To know more about horse gram you can see Wikipedia

You can add equal measures of both sprouts or add in more sprouts to the mix. I personally think these taste great when crunchy and not when mushy and fully cooked.

This is off to Hima of SnackoRama who is hosting WYF- Diet Food

23 comments:

FH said...

Photo looks fabulous!! I love Horsegram/Huruli kalu, a classic beans in K'taka to cook dal. Great entry!:))

Swaruchy said...

Rajitha dear...a healthy snack idea...Thanks dear...Looks very enticing too with a motley of colors....U have been tagged Rajitha kutty......Check out my site for details :-)

Seena said...

I like horse gram, and would make sambar with its sprouts..Rajitha, have heard it is good for people with rheumatism. Thanks for the sprouts mix recipe..

EC said...

Nice one......

Anonymous said...

I can't agree more with you on the crunchy bit - I prefer sprouts raw. Horsegram has recently found its way into my pantry (after trying Bas Saaru) - will make this soon.

sunita said...

Rajitha, that looks lovely... you've reminded me that I nhaven't made sprouts for a while now :)

Laavanya said...

I've developed an affinity to sprouts rather recently too... after trying out some recipes from Mahanandi. This looks very good.

Finla said...

Healthy and a colourful dish

Hima said...

That dish looks great rajitha. My grand pa use to eat sprouted moong dal, which I never liked to eat, may be your version will encourage me to eat them. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe with us. See you at round up.

Kumudha said...

I also loved eating sprouted masala curries while I was in India.

Sprouted dish looks so vibrant brimming with veggies and different sprouts.

zlamushka said...

Wow! Lovely sprout dish, I love their crunchiness, ... I sprout a lot in summer.

Apple said...

Nice entry Rajitha..I've never tasted Horse gram sprouts...good idea

Richa said...

hey, adding the horse gram sprouts is a good idea. i too like it lightly suateed, not much into eating it raw!

TBC said...

Diet/health food is good but regular food is so much better;-).
I'd pick ur gajar ka halwa over this one any day;-)

Latha Narasimhan said...

The sprouts are looking so yummy rajitha!:)) definitely a good diet! nice entry! I feel this is a good side dish for plain chapathi!:))
BTW, you can have the doll house too as it is hand made by me! You just collect some scrape and give shape to the furniture!:))

Anonymous said...

Very nice and unique combination, Rajitha.

Rina said...

Wow! one good healthy dish!!! thx for sharing.

Bharathy said...

...somebody is playing around with clourful and healthy foods lately ;)

sra said...

I think your photo will convert a lot of people into sprout-lovers!

Namratha said...

Hey I hate the raw version too and had almost passed up your post thinking its another sprouted gram "salad" ..hehe! This sounds great, will try it:)

Rajitha said...

asha - wow..u make dal out of this..i will look for the recipe in blogs and try...

scientist gaaru - thnks for the tag...and it was healthy ( hard for me to eat healthy..esp. when i see so much of great food blogs everyday!)

seena - tnks for the info..i did not know that!!

easy crafts - thnks

lakshmi - u like them raw...now i wish u were my neighbour in my teen yrs..i could have passed them to u :(

sunita - glad to have reminded u on these...

laavanya - indira's recipes truely are awesome....

happy cook - thnks!

hima - i think u may like it..as the raw texture transforms itself to something yummy

kumudha - spices are really a blessing i tell u

zlamushka - me too...i love everything crunchy ( not raw tho :(

apple - try it..u may like it..if not..mash them and make into parantha filling ;)

richa - glad u are in the same boat..the raw stuff makes me sad..honest!!

tbc- u bet sister...i would eat the coconut burfi over this in a heartbeat too...

latha - yes..it is a good side for rotis..and u are too talented..i may tell my nephews to make it..they r very talented...


red chillies- thnks

rina - thnks


bharathy - it ws for an event girl ;)

sra - u are waay too sweet..thanks :)


namratha - how dare u pass up on my entry...just kidding girl..i would pass on a sprout recipe too...but this is different..i could not avoid it..i wrote it!!

Kribha said...

This looks so colorful, healthy and absolutely gorgeous. I do not love raw sprouts. I liked your version of partially cooking it. Looks fab.

Rajitha said...

try it kribha..u will like it