Monday

Lauki ki Sabzi

There have been quite a lot of lauki sabji's in the blogosphere a few days back making me want to make some too. The problem is Jeeves hates lauki..what a bummer :( ..keeps telling me it reminds him of the horrible hostel food...now horrible and food really do not belong in the same sentence! so i do not make this sabji as often as i would like to.
Last week i had made kathrikai curry (brinjal curry) and i hate brinjal and had quite a lot left over...so i decided to make my lauki sabji. I had no tomatoes on had and no canned ones and i wanted one with a gravy, i decided to improvise with what i had in hand. It is so simple,tasty and i had some left-over next day,which i had with uthappam..yummy!...Here is the recipe....



Ingredients:

Lauki (Bottle-Gourd) - 1 meduim, cut in cubes
Red Chilly - 4
Garlic - 3 pods
Onions - 1/2 medium (diced)
Peanuts - 1/4 cup
Sesame Seeds - 2 tbls
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp.
Oil - 2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
Curry leaves - 3/4 torn

Method:

1. Boil all the lauki pcs with reqd. salt in 1 cup of water till they are cooked. Take care that they do not get mushy.

2. In a pan put 1 tsp of oil and fry lightly the onions,garlic,red-chilly, sesame seeds and peanuts.

3. Blend the roasted mixture in a blender adding some hot water and making a paste.

4. In a pan, add the remaining 1 tsp. oil, then the cumin seeds. Then add the blended mixture and cook on low flame for a couple of minutes.

5. Add the turmeric powder,red-chilly powder,curry leaves and some salt (keeping in mind the lauki is salted) and fry this mixture for about a minute more. Then add the lauki pcs, cook the sabji in medium flame for about 3-4 minutes and remove from heat.

This tastes better the next day!! really do not know why...

I wish i could claim that Jeeves loved it....but alas! he did not even taste it!! i kept telling him how he is missing out and how he must eat different veggies and lot of bull....and he offered me the brinjal...yep..that shut me up ;)....but i loved the sabji...his loss

28 comments:

Swaruchy said...

haha...Rajitha...Its indeed his loss not to have tasted such a tempting curry.....:-))U don't like Brinjals..?
Tastes great with rotis....Nice one here :-)

TBC said...

Sounds good to me:-)I will have to add this to my "must try" list.
I am not a fan of brinjal either;-)

Lauki is bottle gourd, na?('cos it would help if I knew what I was looking for;-)

Rajitha said...

sirisha - the only time i eat brinjal is bagara-baingan..love it

tbc - you got it girl..i also added the english word in the blog..thnks for bringing it to my attention :)...and now that i know you are not a fan of brinjal...my heart starts to warm up towards u again ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rajitha, I'm afraid I love brijal and have not yet learned to love bottlegourd, but this dish you've made may change my mind!
I like to have a veg. without tomato, and your lauki subzi looks really tempting! Sesame must make it really rich. Thanks for sharing :)

amna said...

i love the texture of that :)

Suganya said...

Oothappam and Lauki.. What?

sra said...

It looks gorgeous. I first thought that yellow, thick gravy had come from besan, but your gravy ingredients definitely sound interesting - I have another lauki in the fridge, will make this.

FH said...

LOVE Eggplants!!! Hate me!!;D
Lauki subzi looks delicious Rajitha, will try.I frozen mine for wintry days!:)

Kribha said...

It looks so delicious rajitha. I have also seen this curry around the blogsphere. I think it's time for me to try it once. U don't like brinjals? I love them a lot.

Bhawna said...

Hey Rajitha, Thanks for sharing recipe for lauki coz i love lauki, Its easy to cook and easy to digest.
very nice blog thanks for sharing.

Raaga said...

just because I love katrikkai, you started ignoring me...!! I also love lauki ma... pls rethink :-)

Laavanya said...

My husband doesn't like Lauki too.. unless i make it into koftas or the poriyal with channa dhal (both on my blog, incase you want to try on Jeeves. Impt note is don't tell him what it's made of until he tastes and likes it! :) ). Your curry looks so creamy and good that I must try it soon. Hopefully i can add this to the list of ways Arun will eat Lauki.

Bharathy said...

lovely veg dish rajitha..droolworthy :)..it goes well with rice or chappathi or with anything, I guess..

Padma said...

The curry looks so rich and creamy...

Sig said...

So, you hate brinjal, and love bottle gourd? that is so twisted girl... I am with jeeves here :)

Sreelu said...

Rajitha I love lauki, nice texture looks spicy and yummo

Rajitha said...

linda - i get bored with tomatoes in all the gravy dishes too...and give the bottle-gourd a chance..it's yum

nags - thnks :)..i liked the texture too

suganya - yeah yeah..it was good...

sra - i have bookmarked urs to try with the besan..never had besan and lauki except koftas...

asha - nope..i still continue to keep to my agenda love u and hate the brinjal....i cut and freeze my laukis too..only because i get greedy and buy a lot...

kribha - try it..you will love it..

bhawna - i know..and they are lower in calories too....

raaga - aiyoo where am i ignoring you?? you are yet to blog anything re..

laavanya - i will try that poriyal...i know half the problem is i don't know how to shut-up..i'm like this is lauki..try it!!

bharathy - it had a little taste of kurma we get in south hotels..goes really well with rotis

padma - thnks :) i like creamy stuff

sig - u benedict arnold....c'mon..you gotta be on my side ;)

sreelu - it tasted a little bit like bagara-baingan...i love lauki too

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Wodehouse, isn't Jeeves supposed to do the cooking ;-)

The lauki looks good

Shella said...

Hi Raji. I really love your version of lauki. I am surely going to try it.

Bharathy said...

yes Rajitha...for the ease of sending this will primarily be in India...but I am sure this will move to US soon!!
You already had fun with "amish-starter" I suppose!!:)..wait patiently for your chance, my sweetie...all fun will sometimes be boring you see..:)

Bong Mom said...

you lost my comment !!!!! you girl !!!

Anonymous said...

That curry is looking so awesome rajitha. Bookmarked I would sure like to make it.

Swaroopa said...

dont like lauki but ur reipe is convicting me to try it.

Cynthia said...

I've never cooked bottle gourd this way before. Thanks for the inspiration.

Rajitha said...

sandeepa - totally with you girl..but he is an impatient cook...so if you want to eat like how a patient does ..like boiled food..let chef jeeves enter the kitchen ;)

shella- do try it..it is good ;)

bharathy - hope so!! i am sorta greedy..i like in on all these events ;) shameless i know!!

sandeepa - nahin re...look upar na...there is ur comment..just got lazy to plug it in the blog ;)

hima - do try and lemme know girl...

swaroopa - repeat after me..lauki rocks...lauki rocks ;)

cyn - do try..i just made up on the fly and i do like it..actually i gotta come back to the recipe if i make it again !!

Anonymous said...

Rajitha, I made this curry with chow chow and must say, it was superb. I liked it a lot. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe.

ketaki said...

Hey Rajitha The dish sounds great ... was searching for a new way to make lauki as my husband doesnt like the way I make it ... But will always make me take it at the indian store as he only likes the lauki ke kofte and dont feel like making anything fried ... Will try this one ..Have bookmarked it ... thanks a lottt ...:)))

R.A.Krishna said...

Hi Rajitha,

This was totally brilliant! Am using it in my blog with a link to yours. Am too lazy to do better!

Cheers
Krishna