I actually wanted to make a savoury dish with peaches but the veggies i had on hand gave me no inspiration....it was then i decided to make a cobbler. I usually look to make cobblers when i have an overload of fruits and i have a craving to eat cake!! ...the cobbler seem to multi-task on that level. This cobbler recipe is really easy and quick and made up on the fly..as i make these quite often.
Honestly..this is a bad photo..but it was 9:00 pm..and i was waiting to dig in...and after we ate some..the dish looked pretty bad..as i had eaten a lot of the cakey top ;)
Peaches - 2 cups sliced (fresh - with skin peeled)
Strawberry - 2 cups sliced
Sugar - 3/4 cup ( 1/2 cup +1/4 cup)
Milk - 3/4 cup (used 2%)
Vanilla Extract - 1 tbls.
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Baking soda - 1 tsp.
Baking powder - 1 tsp.
Butter - 1 tbls
Salt - 1/4 tsp.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Melt the butter in a pan and keep aside. Slice the fruits sprinkle them with 1/4 cup of sugar and keep aside in a bowl
3. Sift the flour,baking soda,baking powder and 1/2 cup sugar in a big bowl.
3. Mix the milk,vanilla extract,melted butter and add it to the flour to make a smooth batter.
4. Butter a baking dish (8*4) and pour the smooth batter in it and arrange the fruits on top...dunk the fruits a little in batter.
5. Bake for 40 mts till bubbly.
You can increase the sugar to 1 cup...depending on the sweetness of the fruits..my cobbler was a little low on sweet..tho the batter was sweet when tasted raw.
You can also use fat-free milk to make it lower in fat, i had 2 % on hand. i could have diluted it with some water..but i forgot.
The leftovers can be frozen for a month...just thaw it out in room temp and warm it in a 300F oven for 15 mts.
This is off to Mansi of Fun and Food who is hosting the AFAM - Peach.