also known as gajar halwa by many of us ;)...hey! it was the think spice-saffron event..so i had to play up the saffron part..can't a girl try!!
Love gajar halwa and growing up always ate the grated kind. Jeeves has grown up eating the one made to a smooth paste..so now i make it as a mix of both. I grind the carrots coarsely in the mixie..so it has a bite and is kinda smooth . There are so many ways of making this halwa..amma always makes it with milk, my sis makes with khoya...i thought why not make it a mix of both..so this is a light version tho pretty rich on taste.
Here is the recipe:
Carrots - 6 large
Low fat Ricotta - 12 oz
Fat Free milk powder - 4 tbls
Fat free milk - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 2 cups
Saffron - 2 generous pinches
Mixed Nuts - 1/4 cup ( cashews,raisins,almonds)
Butter - 2 tbls
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp.
1.In a large pan, mix the ricotta and the milk powder and cook over medium-low heat till all the moisture evaporates. Add in the saffron and keep aside in a bowl.
2. Cut the carrots in small cubes and grind them coarsely in the blender adding some milk to help it along.
3. Add 1 tbls of butter in a kadai..make it into ghee and add the nuts. When the raisins plump up remove the nuts in a bowl and keep aside.
4. Melt the remaining 1 tbls butter to make into ghee and add the ground carrots with the sugar and cook till the mixture reduces and starts to thicken.
5. Add the saffron ricotta in, cook over low heat for 15-20 mts. Add the nuts and remove from heat. Now serve urself a generous portion and think about the calories after you finish eating it ;)
1. Can reduce the sugar to 1 1/2 cups.
2. Can use ghee instead of butter..i just like freshly made..i know..what a nut!
3. The halwa is really creamy and tastes rich..tho it has a lot of low fat elements to it.
This is off to Sunita of Sunita's World and who is hosting the Think Spice Event- Saffron...