Friday

Cream Of Mushroom Soup

When i was a kid when i wanted to do something which my mom did not want me to..her answer would be....do this in 'your' home...how rude huh!!..when i wanted a puppy..i got this answer..when i wanted to enter the puja-room when i had my periods (gasp!)..i got this answer....so now when i have my 'own' home ;D..i have added another set of rules. I only cook what we both like..so i refuse to make something that only jeeves likes...but i do at-times make something i like..coz afterall i am the person cooking it ;). But..these rules have taken a toss when i am watching what i eat...i prefer to make things that he likes and i don't..this keeps me away from sampling the no-no food. So..in my kitchen..mushrooms..brinjal..okra and arbi are the kings..atleast for a few months.

For the MBP i decided to make mushroom soup and i got it from a good
buddy's blog. i love her blog..coz the food looks delicious..and i have tried few of her recipes and they were awesome. I also like that there is no fancy ingredients...and are recipes that i usually would make in my kitchen too. I did make some changes...so will be writing the recipe here..but for her recipe..you can go
here




Cream of Mushroom Soup:

Ingredients:

Mushrooms (shitaki) - 1 pack (i used frozen organic ones)
Garlic: 1 pod
Water: 12 oz
Veg Bullion cube: 1
Butter: 2 tbls
Onion: 1/2 cup, diced
Red chilli flakes: 1 tsp.
Heavy Cream: 12 oz
Rosemary: 1 tsp. (dried)
Chives: 2tsp.
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. In a pan, add the butter and when it melts add the onions,garlic with salt,red-chilli flakes,rosemary,pepper and saute till the onions are soft.

2. Add the mushrooms in and cook till the water evaporates (coz i used frozen) and then add the water and veg. bullion and cook in medium flame for 20 minutes.

3. Cool this mixture down and blend with with heavy cream to a smooth texture.

4. Return this to the pan and simmer till the soup is heated through.

5. Ladle the soup to a bowl and sprinkle with herbs...i used dried chives...

Notes:

I think having a hand blender would make my life so much easier...i know sig, tbc, richa..after buggin u chicks for reco....i still did not buy it..i am going to buy it soon..

This is off to:

Raaga of The Singing Chef who is hosting MBP-Soups and Salads .

Madhuram of Eggless Cooking who is hosting Your recipe rocks series .

23 comments:

FH said...

Love that soup, specially the taste of garlic and Mushrooms combo!:)

Laavanya said...

Dear Rajitha, thank you so much for trying out this recipe :) Hope you liked it.. I've not tried this with shiitake before? Do they have a strong taste? It looks great!
I've been thinking about a hand blender too - waiting for it to cool before blending them in a mixie sucks.

Beyond Curries said...

Even I don't like mushrooms, but I cook it for my husband and son. Both of them like mushroom soup. I also prepare a similar one. Yes having an immersion blender is really very helpful. I have the Hamilton Beach one and satisfied with it's performance.

Rajitha, also thank you for acknowledging the series I have started.

Pavani said...

Soup looks yummy Rajitha..

Hetal said...

Ummm..the soups looks good..

Unknown said...

love mushroom soup..This looks too delicious..Have one in my blog too

notyet100 said...

looks delicious,..nice entry for the event,..:-)

Uma said...

that's a lovely soup, Rajitha! great entry.

TBC said...

My mother would also say the same thing! So I moved away. Taught her a lesson, didn't I!? :-(

I thought u did not like mushrooms.:D

I like Laavanya's blog for the very same reason...the simplicity of her recipes. I tend to lose interest in a post/recipe if it just goes on and on! Especially the ingredient list... I hate it when it is a mile long and uses all fancy-schmancy(to me at least) stuff.

ranji said...

the soup looks yummmm..

Anonymous said...

oh yummm...i love this soup...

sra said...

If they can't be broken, why would they be called rules? :-D

Finla said...

I love the soup, it looks delicious.
I tell the same to my daughter for the things she can't do. I tell he you can do it in your place :-)

bha said...

nice soup...warm and perfect

Cynthia said...

What is it about mothers and their rules eh? :)

Mansi said...

glad to see you post Rajitha! that soup looks awesome!!:)

Andhra Flavors said...

love soups..it looks delicious.

Sig said...

:) Do it in your own home... I am sure all moms are repenting that statement, now my mom lets me do whatever I want in her house :)

Never seen frozen mushrooms! Are they good or do they go mushy if used in dry dishes? The fresh ones go bad so fast, I'd love to try the frozen ones...

Namratha said...

Ahhh rules, never stop at one do they? :P

Soup looks good, I have a box of mushrooms sitting in my fridge, hope they haven't gone bad over the weekend...! Will have to make this sooon :)

Bong Mom said...

ha ha...I tell the kiddo similar stuff :), at least I tell her "Do this when you are older and can do everything on your own." She is just waiting to drive it seems !!!

I am not a big soup fan except for Thai soups, but anything for Jeevs;-)

Swati Raman Garg said...

hey.... love those rules... and haan i love each of ur posts too... u know i spent around 45 mins on ur blog.. reading d stories more than d recipes
:P
anyhow... dont know how i missed these stories earlier...

Rajitha said...

girls..thank you so much for your kind words...was a lil busy..so could not respond individually...hope that is ok :)

amna said...

this is one soup i have always wanted to try but never got around to!