It was few days back and i was blog hopping when i saw these in one of my favorite blogger's site. I do not eat eggs...but it got me salivating! Then Mansi annouced the game night event and i was really waiting for an excuse to make these..so i jumped up at the opportunity ...all in the name of participation ;).
I love puffs..but i was honestly fed-up of potato filling (could be because..i was on potato overload ;)...actually let me be honest..i had tons of veggies in my fridge and boy! was i feeling guilty about not using them..so i decided to make these without the ever-faithful tatoes :(...so here is the recipe
Cauliflower - 200 gms.
Carrots : 200 gms
Peas - 2/3 cup
Red Onion - 1 small (diced)
Garlic - 1 large pod (grated)
Jalepeno - 1 medium ( diced very fine)
Cumin - 1 tsp.
Garam Masala powder - 1 tsp.
Oil - 1 tsp.
Kasoori methi - 1 tsp.
Salt - as needed.
Puff pastry sheet - 1 ( thinned out a bit with a rolling pin)
1. Boil the cauliflower,carrot and peas with salt till soft.Great if they mush up a little.
2. In a pan, heat the oil and add the cumin, garlic, jalepeno and onions and fry lightly. Now add the mushed veggies,garam masala powder and cook for a few minutes till the moisture evaporates.
3. Then switch off the gas, add the kasuri methi to the sabji above and move the sabji to a plate to cool.
4. Meanwhile, thaw the pastry for 40 minutes on the counter or as per the instructions in the box.
5. Lightly flour the counter and place the pastry on top and slowly unfold it. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400 F.
6. Now lightly flatten it with a rolling pin so as to remove the creases and thin out the pastry a wee bit.
7. Divide the sheet to 8 parts and keep a little bowl of water ready on the side to close the edges.
8. Now, put a couple of spoons of curry in the puff and seal the edges using the water.
9. Bake the puffs for 20 mts till they are golden brown.
I served these with a chickpeas salad, as i would get hungry within an hour eating a pure carb laden dinner ;)
These puffs can be made ahead of time and can be warmed in a 350F oven for 5-7 minutes before guests arrive...or you can assemble all the puffs (do not bake),wrap them individually in parchment paper and freeze them. On the day of the party, pop these in the oven and bake them at 400 F for 30-35 minutes. When you are doing the second method..do not let the puffs thaw..just straight from the freezer to the oven.
This is off to Mansi of Fun and Food and who is hosting Game night party recipes.