Tuesday

Beans Thoran

I love chena or chenai (is what we call at home)mezhukkupuratti and my only condition is it should be really well cooked and should not have a bit of firmness to it...but should not be mashed in appearance. I can easily demolish quite a lot of this vegetable made this way. Jeeves, is not too much of a fan of this veggie..so i usually make it when he is on trips and i am left to my own devices for cooking. I know cooking for one is boring, coz i have yet to master cooking for 1..but i have realised it is the only time i can make dishes and veggies i enjoy..without making two of em! ..now why is this loong story!been told when i have written beans thoran as the recipe??...actually chenai what i made for RCI..but i forgot about it on the stove when i was outside with the snow blower..so i made another fav and easy recipe of mine...beans thoran! seriously..it is impossible for anyone to goof-this up..it is made super fast!!



Ingredients:

Green Beans - 2 cups (diced).
Coconut - 1/2 cup (grated, i used the powdered one).
Green Chilly -2
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.
Urad Dal - 1/4 tsp.
Chana Dal - 1/4 tsp.
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp.

Method:

1. In a pan, add oil and allow it to heat. Add in the mustard seeds, then the urad dal,chana dal and the red chilly. When they change color, add in the green beans and 1/2 a cup of water with turmeric and reqd salt.

2. Meanwhile grind the green chilly and the coconut to a coarse paste with minimim water

2. After 10-12 minutes, the green beans are cooked...then make sure all the water is evaporated then...add the coconut-green chilly paste. Cook the dish for a few more minutes till all moisture is evaporated.

This tastes great with sambaar or rasam...with papadam :)


This is my submission to Jyothsna who blogs at Curry Bazaar and is hosting RCI-Kerala.
Thank you so much Jyotsna for entertaining my late entry..

20 comments:

Laavanya said...

This is an absolute favorite at our home too and infact we had this for dinner yday (what a coincidence) :) I make it the same way except i add a small clove of garlic when grinding the coconut.

TBC said...

Beans thoran with sambar is made at least once a week here.:-)

Namratha said...

Beans palya(how we call it) is a fav here too, its so simple and tasty na. Looks gr8 dear...

FH said...

We make something similar to this with Tuar dal, dill and beans called Bassaru. Dal is drained and beans and dill are seasoned like here. I love it, looks delicious and making me crave for some now!:))

Finla said...

Oh I love beans thoran.
Back when i was at home my mom always made them.
But now I don't make them as i am the only fan of beans. So will just drool here

Dhivya said...

It looks yummy..it would hav tasted good,Thanks for sharing,...

Mythreyee said...

I have always added the chilli and coconut to the curry. Never attempted to grind. Will try it next time.

Jayashree said...

Rajitha, you have described the perfect chena mezhukkupuratti in this post...that's the way I like it too...perfectly cooked but not mushy.

Anonymous said...

I love it, and make it quite often. Thankfully this is made in my in-laws house too. So my husband has no complains and I get to make it often.

Rajesh &Shankari said...

Beans thoran and roti is my fav combo..

Manju said...

totally adore beans thoran!!

Meera said...

Wow! I really love bean thoran too. and with rice, sambar and papadam, even better. :-)

Archy said...

Beans Thoran.. yum.. My mom makes it the same way.. but i do some adjustment with grinding..:) !! Love it !!

Dhivya said...

hey nice entry

Richa said...

yumm :) one of my fav thorans!
btw the pwd coconut, do u get it frozen?
looks like u've had quite some snow ;)

Seema said...

Nice & simple recipe & i like it with rice & sambhar combo! thats a comfort food man!

Sig said...

You got me going there with the chena story... :) Cooking for one is boring... I know... I too sometimes make stuff that Siv doesn't like, when he is away... but mostly it is take out or going out with friends for me...
BTW, what were you doing with a snow blower when Jeeves was out of town... ;)

Rajitha said...

Thnks ladies for your kind comments..and sig..i will ignore ur btw Q :D

Sig said...

ignore my question? Grrr... I didn't realize this is a PG-13 blog... ;)

Ramki said...

Hi Rajitha,
Am blogging your Thoran as a model recipe in the 1001 Kerala curries cookbook at http://ramkicooks.blogspot.com/

/Thanks for the recipe