I get mad when i buy granola from outside coz i feel i get cheated..there seems to be more of the oats and less of the fruit and nut..tho it is very generously named as cranberry-pecan granola or blueberry-walnut granola.. i really do not get more than a piece in a 2 tbls helping....When the announcement for the AFAM-dates was postponed..i resolved to join in the fun and make granola which i have never made but always wanted to. I did a search via google and came upon this
site which has an easy recipe and would be easy to modify.
I usually eat granola topped over yogurt or in a fruit parfait. I even have it on top of low fat frozen yogurt..it tastes absolutely great. It is healthy but a lil steep on calories esp. when you eat without measuring it ;) I did measure and weigh everything i put in...and have the calories stated at the end of the recipe.
1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls honey
1 tbls mollases
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbls sunflower oil (use any flavorless oil)
1 tbls water
50 gms walnuts
50 gms dates (chop them up in bite sized pcs.)
1 tbls tangerine zest
1. Preheat oven to 275 F.
2. In a bowl mix all the ingredients except the ones listed under 'other'.
3. Line a cookie sheet with parchment and spread the mixture on it and bake for 30 mts.
4. When 30 mts are done, stir in the remaining ingredients listed under 'other' and bake for 10 more minutes.
5. Let this cool and store it in a dry glass jar...coz it looks pretty ;)
I am trying to eat healthy so the calories per tbls (12gms) is 50 cal.
1. Sub any fruit nut combo..but do not go crazy over it, as the calories are pretty high on the dried variety ones :)
2. Make sure the granola is cooled before you transfer it to a jar.
3. Parchment paper ensures the granola does not stick and you do not have to oil the pan. you can also use silpat, which is a great alternative.
This is off to Chandrika who blogs at Akshayapatra and is hosting AFAM - Dates.