I know...i have been basically not blogging for nearly a year..but after not having my laptop for nearly 2 weeks..i just realised that i missed blogging. My interests wax and wane...and as of now..i am back in the mood. But, this may or may not last long..so let me see.
I have always loved Pineapple..but growing up in India..fruits are sold seasonally and also we would buy these fruits with their peels cut by the vendor. My uncle...would tease us and tell us that the vendor would blow his nose...visit restrooms and could cut the fruit with the same hand often..but it usually fell of deaf ears. I unfortunately..did see the pineapple vendor blow his nose..wipe his hands on his pant and go his merry ways to cut the fruit. That ended my love story with the fruit. Nowadays, ofcourse, we have super bazaars cut up the fruit all neat and clean in boxes in shelves..but i cannot bring myself to eat Pineapple in india anymore..unless it is in Navrattan kurma or kashmiri naan..yummmm.....
I did go overboard and buy 3 pineapples..yikes! and it was taking up a lot of place in my fridge. I decided to make a spicy and sweet pineapple curry from an Indonesian cookbook i have in my hand. I did go about making a few substitues, as i did not have all the ingredients on hand..i do plan to make the recipe as per the books soon.
Pineapple - 1/2 large, cut in cubes
Brown Sugar - 1 tbls (i used splenda brown sugar blend)
Soy Sauce - 1 tbls
Sambaal Oleek - 1 tbls
Flavorless oil - 1 tsp.
Peanuts - 3 tbls, crushed..coarsely
1. In a non stick pan, add 1 tsp. oil and add the pineapple when the oil shimmers.
2. Add the brown sugar and cook for 5-7 minutes in medium-high flame, till there is good carmalisation.
3. Add the soya souce and the sambaal oleek and cook for 5 more minutes till the liquids are absorbed and the pineapple has some lovely color to it.
4. Scoop the pineapple on a bowl and sprinkle it with peanuts.
1. I think i will have to make the original recipe, as it had more yummy ingredients like ginger and red chillies.
2. Tho, soya sauce was an ingredient, i would not add it as it adds a flavor i did not enjoy.
Will make the original recipe and repost it with the name of the book..as this is basically my recipe with a lot of inspiration